Friday, October 30, 2015

detox smoothie recipe // beets

Can I tell you guys about my newest obsession? BEETS! I know, gross, right? But they're really not that bad! Ever since I started dating my husband I've been less picky about my eating and willing to try new things. I even started putting onions in our food and I HATE onions! So I tried the beets out of curiosity and I was not disappointed. They are high in vitamins and minerals and also have a lot of other health benefits including cleansing your liver and purifying your blood. In my research I came across a recipe for a detox smoothie from Oh She Glows and decided to try it out, so I wanted to share it with you all:

Pink Power Detox Smoothie
1 cup water or coconut water
½ medium avocado, pitted
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 medium beet, ends trimmed and roughly chopped {I used canned diced beets from the grocery store and just did 1/2 cup diced beets*}
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil {optional**}
4 large ice cubes
1 apple, cored and roughly chopped
Instructions:
Steam beet if necessary before starting (If you have a heavy duty blender like a Vitamix that you know can handle raw beets, skip this step. I used my Ninja blender and it works amazing!)

Add all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth. Adjust sweetness if desired, adding an apple to taste if needed.

*my local grocery store is really small and unfortunately doesn't have a wide variety of produce, hence why I used canned beets instead. The health benefits are the same but just not as many vitamins and minerals as fresh beets. 
**I did not use coconut oil because I could not find mine.. Seriously, who misplaces a whole jar of coconut oil?!

Ta-da!



I'm not going to lie, I love the pink color in this smoothie. I know, I'm such a girl. I just like pretty things, ok? Try this smoothie and let me know what you all think! 





No comments:

Post a Comment